Monday, March 29, 2010

JILL SANDREY



JS
: I’m jill and my focuses are in, well, I make clothes and I illustrate and I like to make films.
nativefunkandflash: so what are you making?
JS: I’m making a clothing collection, but its much more about the feeling as opposed to the clothes. Because of that I’m also making a film and a lot of still images and its inspired by youth, which has been a constant for me, as well as a lot of theoretical stuff about time and space and a whole bunch of other lofty ideas.
nff: what are you inspired by?
JS: The thing that most inspires me is youth, being young and that potential, but also the aspect of watching that potential die in front of you. And having so much hope but also the duality of being completely destroyed by things and people. Then also with that, as a teenager I was always inspired by space and stars so that was something that came into play this semester.
nff: describe your process.
JS: When I make clothes I really start out by sketching with fabric…I just try something and if it doesn’t work then I discard it but if it does then I just keep going and building like that, like layering.
nff: what about materials?
JS: I definitely have a certain sense about textiles…I like a certain kind, like colors and softness is really important, and sheerness…I’m attracted to a certain style…ethereal kind of stuff but I don’t know why exactly, just always have been
nff: do you see this collection as being continued after school? do you see your work going in a certain direction after school?
JS: I think that I’ll always make films. I’ve been collaborating a lot with my brother who’s a musician, so I think that’s something I’ll always do, but I don’t know about clothes…I don’t really like the fashion world so I don’t know if I’m going to stick around there. I’m going to go to grad school so we’ll see. Not right now though…I’m taking a year off, working. The reason I want to go to grad school is cause I want to be able to teach on a college level, so if there’s a program where I can do art education I would.



No comments: